Monday, July 3, 2017

Being a YFU exchange student

Being a YFU exchange student is being part of something special. It is being part of a family that will always stick together and support each other, because we understand. YFU has given me people from all kinds of different countries, people who are part of me. We don't have the same blood running through our veins, yet they all are my brothers and sisters. We have something bigger in common, something that many of y'all don't have - we have that one year full of so many struggles, laughter, tears, sadness, happiness, horrible moments, moments of our life. This year is what makes us who we are, this is what created US! We are the kind of people who will always be there for each other, no matter what the distance between us is! I love my YFU family, especially my craziest, funniest, the most stupid, caring, loving North Tx group! There wasn't even a question if I am gonna get a long with them, from the moment I saw these people it was already clear we're all gonna be best friends! I didn't see them every day. I saw them maybe once in every 2 months, but that meant I always had something to wait for. I know that I'll see them again, 'cause we ain't the kind of people who will forget each other, we will find a way to meet!

What's it like being an exchange student?
  • Phrases ''Sorry, I didn't know, I am an exchange student.'' and ''Omg that is exactly how I feel!'' are your favorite.
  • You don't really worry too much before doing something questionable, because hey, you are here only for a year and you want to try everything.
  • You have a friend or somebody you know in half of the countries in the world.
  • You don't feel quilty for eating too much because you are a YFU exchange student, eating is your job.
  • You start to love your home country SO much more!(I am a huge patriot now, lol)
  • You invent your own words which are made out of sometimes even three languages.(One time I told my mom a word in English, but changed it in Estonian so the result was - openesin(meant to say I opened...))
  • You get asked to say something in your language and you forget every single word you have been speaking past 16 years.
  • You try to take notes in school during the first week, but the teacher said a sentence so fast that you end up with random words lined up in your notebook. 
  • There are so many tests in school, where you(no joking) know ONLY your name. Literally, there was a test where I didn't even know the date...
  • Going to the grocery store first few times is more like going sightseeing. 
  • You feel like a new pet in the family when you get introduced by ''..and this is OUR exchange student''
  • You feel like you are in a different world, because suddenly everything in your life is connected  with your exchange year(or that kind of opportunity) + there's a time when YFU people are the main people in your life.
  • There are days when you wake up already being sad and you can't do anything about it because you are homesick, so your only option is to eat Ice Cream and watch movies.
  • You don't dream and think in your native language anymore.
  • You get asked the most stupid questions like ''Do you have famous people in your country?'' ''Do you have cars or internet?'' ''Do y'all have penguins walking around in your country?''
  • The smallest things being said to you can hurt so easily when you are homesick, but also the smallest things being said can make you incredibly happy and feel appreciated.
  • Everyday you veel like you should do something and every second you just lie in bed watching movies you feel like you are wasting your exchange year and you can't do that.(Although it is totally normal lol)
  • The feeling of ''I wanna go home so bad, but I don't want to leave this place.'' is VERY familiar to you.
  • At least once a week you look around and wonder if it's actually your real life you are living. 
  • You feel like you have two separate lives.
  • You don't take school work too seriously...(oops)
  • You have so much time to think so you create so many new ideas what you wanna do once you go back.
  • Being around other exchange students is the BEST feeling in the world and makes you feel comfortable and like you are in the right place.
  • Exchange year is basically an opportunity given to you to create a life you have dreamed of.
  • Even on the days when you complain sooo much and think it is the worst day ever, if somebody would offer you a plane ticket back home, you wouldn't accept it. 

  • You realize that dreams really come true and basically you can do whatever you want in your life.
Here's three of my favorite quotes from pinterest: 




No comments:

Post a Comment